Thursday, October 13, 2005

Snoopitorial

More blog scanning and I find this piece (below) from Leonard Pitts Jr.
I wanted to add a few things.

As a young kid growing up in the Bay Area and settling in an all white neighborhood I did have my share of Nigger moments. Even as an adult in the civilian world I have had countless numbers of them.
I want to mention them prior to the editorial to show I get dudes side.
Pitts brings up AGAIN the comments by Bennett but I just don’t understand the outrage. The outrage is grossly misplaced.
Couple of briefs:
As a 10 year old while on the steps of my old elementary school a bunch of us who had just returned from baseball practice had out baseball bats and were clanging them on the base of the steps and on the wooden steps of the portable buildings surrounding us.
The sound echoed to the neighborhood above and apparently, someone complained about the noise.
The police arrived several of us were bouncing the rubber tips on the end of the aluminum bats. My back was turned as the office approached us. I, the lone Negro kid out of 16 was grabbed by the police officer, walked to the car, handcuffed, and taken for a 15-minute ride in the police car. While on the ride, the office never said a word.
Again after the 15 minutes or so he asked “where do you live?” I gave my address and he quickly said: “tell me the truth, where do you live?” I told him again and he said you better not be lying or you will go to lock-up. (Whatever that meant, hey I was 10).
We got to my home, the officer got out of the car went to the door, my mother answered and officer asked, “does Snoop live here” (humor me people) after mom acknowledged he came back to the car, unlocked the handcuffs (inside the police car) and told me to get out on the rear passenger side door. The driver side was facing the house.
Now keep in mind for the first several months I lived in that neighborhood I was peeped by the police countless numbers of times whenever I walked alone home.
Black folks can't live in this particular hood.
I was accused by white neighbors of supposed mischief, I had nothing to do with bunches of times.
Lord knows I got into some stuff as any kid does, but NEVER in my own hood and certainly nothing criminal.
Hell our house was egged, many times, items stolen out of our garage, including my brothers cherished mini-bike. All in this in a pristine white bread neighborhood.
One time, I had one old white lady accused me of poring root beet on her as I passed her house on my bike. She hated that I rode my bike and skateboard down the sidewalk in front of her house. So she flat lied to get me (tried) in trouble because she did not want the little nigger boy near her home.
Fast forward to adult life. A certain job opportunity upon my departure form the Force comes up dry as the owner of this company did not realize I was Negro. Several people in the company highly recommended me. I even had a conversation with him on the phone.
Upon seeing me, he told me he had selected someone else for the position.
This happened to me on several occasions upon my extended absence from the work force.
This is particularly the reason why this particular dumbass pissed me off to no end:

“Anyone can get a job anytimne he or she wants”
“Yeah, and where were you applying for jobs at? I find it hard to believe that anyone who is unemployed for a year really "can't find a job." It's more of "I can't find a job I like." I'm not saying it's easy, but I am saying that it's a matter of dignity. Are you willing to sacrifice a small portion OF your dignity to wait tables? Or carhop? Or deliver pizzas? Did you really ever apply for jobs at any of those places? Considering the large cities you've lived in, I can't see how someone with your skill couldn't find ANY job.”


Yes, people spoken like a typical white person who lacks common fucken sense and has no idea what some black folks go through.
Little does this individual knows people with “skills” CAN’T work in a McDonalds, Burger King, or some other service segmented jobs particularly in a college town.
As much as I like my town, the labor force is grossly devoid of Negros.
I was able to get temporary work as a distribution plant for a minute but that did not last long.
My point to all of this is through unequal treatment; hassle from racists’ police fucks, Racial or at the very least very prejudicial conduct from ordinary everyday people can fuck up an individuals perspective.
This is why I find the outrage regarding Bennett’s comments comical. Average white people engage in socially destructive behavior, that hinders the progress, hopes and dreams of black people every damm day. How in the hell would someone come to the conclusion that the out of text bullshit comments of some white guy add fuel to this already arsonists fueled societal blaze?
The Bill Bennett’s of the world don’t worry me, it the white neighbor who put a note on my car on night because we did not drive it often enough. Its the white co-worker who told my boss that “she was worried about her “safety” after I told her to fuck off. Yes this old fat white curmudgeon, receptionist thinks that I would risk my job by punching her fat ass I guess.
Its the stupid white lady who at my other job needed my assistance for a major project, which I could have easily helped her with, after several nice phone conversations she was eager to get started. When she finally visited my office, I got the “oh shit, he’s a negro” look. Needless to say she mysteriously did not need my assistance any longer.
Its the white guy who I replaced at my current digs, who upon introduction, the first thing that comes out of his mouth after the “oh shit he’s a Negro” look, was what were YOUR qualifications and what is your background?
It would be more comical if it were not so common.

Yes us Negros experience this crap much too much but you just have to say screw it and try to endure.
So to Mr. Pitts tough break but, been there and back many times.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

marriage seeking woman

19.2.07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Watiti.com adult dating
Join me and my circle of friends at http://www.watiti.com, an online social networking community that connects people from all over the world.

Meet new people, share photos, create or attend events, post free classifieds, send free e-cards, listen music, read blogs, upload videos, be part of a club, chat rooms, forum and much more!

See you around! Bring all your friends too!

Watiti.com adult dating

22.2.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home